Updated February 21, 2023
Personally and Non-Personally Identifying Information
Certain visitors to THE SITE and ETSY SHOP choose to interact with THE SITE and ETSY SHOP in ways that require THE SITE and ETSY SHOP to gather personally-identifying information. The amount and type of information that THE SITE and ETSY SHOP gather depends on the nature of the interaction.
THE SITE and ETSY SHOP collect both:
- Non-personally identifying information typical of most websites. For example, browser type, language preference, referring site, the date and time of visitors, and the duration of their visits.
- Personally identifying information like a user’s IP address, a user’s email address, a user’s membership/access level, and so on.
This information is used to:
- Better understand how visitors/customers use the website.
- Improve the overall visitor/customer experience.
- Complete specific user-site interactions, such as a purchase transaction.
THE SITE requests and collects the following information when a visitor purchases a product and accesses THE SITE to retrieve a purchase:
- Of user agreement with THE SITE Terms of Service & Use
To fulfil your order, a user/customer must provide THE SHOP with certain information (which the user authorized Etsy to provide to THE SHOP), such as the user’s/customer’s name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that is ordered. The user/customer may also choose to provide THE SHOP with additional personal information (for a custom order, for example), if the user/customer contacts THE SHOP directly.
In addition, THE SITE collects the following if a visitor or registered user opts to do so:
- Whether the user would like to receive notifications/site news from us (optional)
- User purchases—to support the online experience at THE SITE (optional and tracked by user ID and product IDs)
- Comments (optional)
- Links to User Images (optional)
- User Text/Forms (optional)
We DO NOT request or collect credit card information. We use third party billing agents (ETSY) to process payments made for services or products offered by us.
Why We Collect Your Information
THE SITE’S and THE SHOP’S uses of your information is based on the grounds that:
- The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under our Terms of Service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account–for example, in order to enable access to our website on your device or charge you for a paid plan or product, to fulfill your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support; or
- The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
- The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
- We have a legitimate interest in using your information–for example, to provide and update our website services, to improve our website services so that we can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard our website services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with our website services, and to personalize your experience; or
- You have given us your consent, which you may revoke at any time; or
- The use is necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law.
How THE SITE Collects Information
THE SITE and THE SHOP collect information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of the visitor’s/user’s/customer’s interaction with THE SITE or THE SHOP. This includes collecting information through:
- Forms: THE SITE uses an email form provided by Mailchimp to sign up for emails and access SITE content meant for email subscribers. A subscriber may change the status of their subscription at any time. In addition, THE SITE uses an email form provided by Opt-In Panda to create a SITE list that works together with a cookie for access to SITE content meant for email subscribers.
- User Posts/Articles: The website utilizes forms to enable user post publishing. If a user publishes anything on the website (via these website forms) the website connects their user ID to their posts, identifying the user as the published post’s author. This means that users may also provide us with information about themselves in published content. In some cases, this information is public. In addition, if users upload, link, or publish images to the website, their images may contain embedded location data (EXIF GPS) and visitors to the website could download and extract any location data from those images.
- Purchased Items: Purchased items are tracked via ETSY SHOP to facilitate the online experience at THE SITE and ETSY SHOP. For example, if you purchase access to a specific web page, that is something that is tracked so that you are granted access to that specific page.
Who Sees User Data and Where It’s Sent
Depending on a user’s interaction with the website, their data may be seen by or sent to:
The following Data Processors/third parties collect and/or manage some user data directly to help the functionality of this website:
- ICDSoft: The site’s hosting service does collect some data to ensure infrastructure and network security. Please see their policy here: https://www.icdsoft.com/en/privacy
- Future Purchasers of My Business: If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
- Government/Legal Officials: To comply with laws, I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) Respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) Enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) Prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) Protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
Website Administrators/Data Controllers can see and edit information collected.
The Public – That is, any information a user chooses to make public is disclosed publicly. That means that information such as comments and “likes” are all available to the public, including information displayed in connection with a comment or “like” (such as the user’s username and Gravatar). Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties.
How Long Do We Keep Data?
If users leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website, we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile and this is retained indefinitely. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
Users may delete their entire account at any time. However, account deletion is permanent and orders and uploaded content will NOT be recoverable once the account is deleted.
NOTE: At this time, we do not have any registered users other than our two administrators and registration is closed.
What You Can Do
If you have an account on THE SITE or the ETSY SHOP, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes. Further, you may log in, access your account and either edit your personal information or delete your account. However, account deletion is permanent and orders and uploaded content will NOT be recoverable once the account is deleted. In addition, you can do the following:
- Limit the Information that You Provide
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data; and
- EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
THE SITE and ETSY SHOP take reasonable measures to protect against the unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction of potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information and and will not rent or sell potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information to anyone, unless it’s:
- Required to do so by law, or when THE SITE and ETSY SHOP believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of THE SITE and ETSY SHOP, third parties, or the public at large. (Please refer to the Terms of Service and Use for more details.)
- Requested by employees, contractors, and affiliated organizations that need to know the information in order to process it on THE SITE’S or ETSY SHOP’S behalf in order to provide services available via the website.
Further, we rely on one or more of the following processing conditions:
- Our legitimate interests in the effective delivery of information and services to you
- Explicit consent that you have given
- Legal obligations
You may have certain rights under data protection law in relation to the personal information we hold about you. In particular, you may have a right to:
- Request a copy of personal information we hold about you
- Ask that we update the personal information we hold about you, or independently correct such personal information that you think is incorrect or incomplete
- Ask that we delete personal information that we hold about you from live systems, or restrict the way in which we use such personal information
- Object to our processing of your personal information
- Withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal information (to the extent such processing is based on consent and consent is the only permissible basis for processing)